The Winnipeg Mennonite Theatre Society
In conjunction with the 100th Anniversary Celebration (2023) of the arrival of Russian Mennonite refugees in Canada announces its
50th Anniversary (2022) Playwriting Competition
and issues a call for aspiring and experienced playwrights to submit original one act plays on a Mennonite theme, preferably, but not necessarily, dealing with the Mennonite immigrant experience.
First Prize: $1200.00
Second Prize: $800.00
Third Prize: $500.00
Judging will be done as a blind review by a panel of three judges. The deadline for submissions is June 30, 2022.
- Plays cannot have been previously published or performed.
- Entries must be typed and submitted electronically with a cover sheet which includes name, address, phone number, and email address. Your name must not appear on the entry itself.
- Winnipeg Mennonite Theatre reserves first performance rights for winning entries, without royalties for their staging. The intention is to present one or more of these plays as part of our 50th Anniversary celebrations and as part of the 100th Anniversary celebrations.
- Since the competition is being run in celebration of two celebratory occasions, the judges may choose to include among their criteria a preference for plays that are positive or uplifting or humourous.
- The entry fee is $20.00 per submission. There is a limit of two entries per playwright. Please make cheques payable to Winnipeg Mennonite Theatre and mail to:
Department of History
University of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave.
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E9
Professor A. Friesen
Please enter Winnipeg Mennonite Theatre Playwriting Competition in the subject line.